In the event of a serious health event that requires a loved one to be hospitalized, the trial that follows recovery is typically a period of rehabilitation. These services can span from physical or speech therapy, and may even require additional nursing care.
There are a variety of options for families seeking complete rehabilitation, in multiple settings. Depending on the situation, what the family and loved one’s personal preferences are, the choice comes down to what will be the best fit for the road to recovery.
Assisted living facilities are among the few that offer comprehensive rehabilitation care. In this setting, the main goal is to reduce the risk of hospital readmission, retain and build their strength, and overall confidence.
Finding Exceptional Senior Rehabilitation after Hospitalization
It is not uncommon for rehabilitation to be completed with assistance through in-home care, but what assisted living communities hold strength over is the 24-hour assistance and monitoring.
Skilled professionals with a primary focus and specialty in areas such as speech or occupational therapy can offer the most knowledgeable care. The frequency of therapy sessions can be more on-demand and with the most up-to-date equipment.
Daily life activities such as bathing, dressing, and meal preparation are taken care of, with the concentration on full recovery becoming the primary focus. At The Kensington, our staff works daily to make sure every resident feels at home. It is our promise to love and care for your family as we do our very own.
Hospital Discharge Plan
It’s always best to be prepared for the unthinkable. Having a hospital discharge plan will alleviate the uncertainty that comes with the road to recovery after hospitalization. In this event, these are the questions most likely to surface:
- What will the required therapies be?
- Will my loved one need help with dressing, bathing, cooking, house upkeep?
- Will my loved one be safe at home upon discharge or will someone need to be assisting them 24 hours a day?
- What is the average recovery period?
- What problems, symptoms and side effects should we be on the lookout for?
- What should we do about any potential side effects or problems if they appear?
- Who do we call for emergencies and sudden changes?
- What does each medication do and why is it needed?
- What are the medication dosages and side effects to watch for?
- Who do we call if we have questions about medical equipment, such as oxygen or a walker?
With these main questions in mind, it will help form a plan of action that best evaluates the interest of the loved one in need of care, and the family involved who wants to ensure the best course of action is in place to provide the best care for them.
Rehabilitation Care at The Kensington
At The Kensington in Redondo Beach, we partner with HealthPRO Heritage, the region’s leader in therapy services, to offer comprehensive rehab services, wellness opportunities, and health education.
Highly trained and knowledgeable HealthPRO Heritage therapists are available to provide on-site services, which work hand-in-hand with The Kensington’s own fitness, wellness, and rehab programs to build upon current strengths and empower the individual further into recovery.
HealthPRO’s multidisciplinary team can evaluate your needs and develop a tailored program, with the following focuses offered:
- Physical Therapy helps restore physical strength and maintain maximum movement and functional ability. Improvement of mobility, balance, and range of motion is the primary goal.
- Occupational Therapy is aimed to help adapt to life changes and improve functional abilities. Training and guidance on self-care skills such as bathing, dressing, feeding, and grooming are some of the main focuses.
- Speech Therapy helps with all aspects of communication and memory. Chewing and swallowing problems are alleviated with this type of therapy.
Our team works to help improve the health and wellbeing of seniors who have hospitalized or in need of expert care for the following conditions:
- Post-Operative Joint Replacement
- Neurologic & Stroke Recovery
- Cardiac Care
- Pain Management
- Fall Prevention/Balance
- Memory Enhancement
- Bladder Health
- Parkinson’s Disease
Expert care from a team that not only provides the best level of attention and professional assistance for your loved one, but matched with just as much compassion. Our promise is to love and care for your family as we do our own. Making each resident feel at home strived for each day, along with creating a safe environment for healing and recovery.
If you would like to learn more about our rehabilitation services, memory care, or assisted living, contact us today for more information or answers to any questions you may have. We look forward to getting in touch with you soon!
Additional Recommended Reading:
- Short Term Memory Loss: Sign of Alzheimer’s or Dementia?
- The Signs of Memory Loss: When to Ask for Help
- When Senior Moments Become Something More
- Can Seniors Alter Their Genetic Risk of Alzheimer’s Disease?
- “The Memory Ensemble”: How Improv Helps Mild Memory Loss
- Caring for a Spouse with Memory Loss
- Is It Alzheimer’s — or Normal Age-Related Memory Loss?