Discovering that a loved one is experiencing mild cognitive impairment (MCI) can make the world feel a bit upside down. Even more so if they’re diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
Familiar routines and special moments together might now be sprinkled with moments of concern. It’s natural to feel a mix of worry about what’s ahead and a deep nostalgia for days gone by.
At The Kensington Redondo Beach, we create a haven where families gather strength and residents shine in their own unique ways.
If your loved one is experiencing MCI, dive in to understand more about why catching it early matters, and how our memory care community can bring joy and maintain the quality of your loved one’s life.
Just as our bodies evolve with time, so do our brains. It’s common for our loved ones to feel more forgetful as they grow older. They could take a bit longer to find the right word or remember someone’s name.
Yet, it’s crucial to distinguish between these typical age-related shifts and signs of more serious cognitive issues.
Recognizing early symptoms of MCI allows for early medical intervention and support.
Signs to watch out for:
- Forgetfulness that impacts day-to-day tasks
- Challenges in planning or problem-solving
- Struggles with once-easy tasks
- Disorientation regarding time or location
- Issues interpreting visual cues and understanding spatial arrangements
- Emerging difficulties with speech or writing
- Frequently losing items
- Diminished or questionable decision-making
- Isolation from social engagements
- Shifts in mood or character changes
If you’re concerned that your loved one is displaying any of these symptoms, reach out to a healthcare professional. The best way to support your loved one and slow or manage their symptoms is to get them proper treatment immediately.
Initiating memory care early is pivotal in improving life quality as memory issues begin to surface. The sooner you can get your loved one diagnosed, the sooner and more efficiently they can be treated.
Other reasons to intervene early include:
- Slowed progression: Early intervention can slow down the progression of memory disorders, providing individuals with a better quality of life for longer.
- Enhanced quality of life: By addressing symptoms promptly, individuals can enjoy improved daily functioning and maintain their independence for as long as possible.
- Emotional support: Specialized care ensures emotional and psychological support, helping individuals cope with their new condition, and reducing feelings of isolation, anxiety, or depression.
- Tailored therapies: Early care can offer tailored therapeutic interventions, including cognitive therapies, physical activity, and other treatments suited to the individual’s specific needs.
- Safety: Memory disorders can lead to unsafe situations like wandering or forgetting to turn off appliances. Early intervention allows time to secure a safer environment for the individual, whether at home or in a senior living community.
- Strengthening relationships: By intervening early, relationships with loved ones can be maintained and strengthened, ensuring that the individual does not become isolated.
- Holistic health: Specialized care often involves a comprehensive approach to health, including nutrition, physical health, mental well-being, and social engagement.
By taking action promptly when symptoms are first noticed, families can make the most of the available resources and support systems, which leads to better outcomes and a more fulfilling life for those with memory conditions.
We provide two distinct “neighborhoods” for residents that are warm, secure, and overseen by skilled professionals who tailor their approach to each resident’s needs.
The Connections neighborhood caters to those experiencing early-stage memory loss and mild cognitive impairment, perhaps due to Alzheimer’s or dementia, but maintaining independence.
Our goal is to help them stay involved in meaningful activities and find purpose in their day-to-day schedules despite their changing condition.
- Cognitive exercises and learning experiences
- Expressive arts and music therapies
- Body movement programs, such as yoga, tai chi, and dance
- Intergenerational programming with our volunteers and families
- Journaling, meditation, and mindfulness
- Outings to local museums, restaurants, and parks
- Resident and family caregiver support groups
- Discussions, educational workshops, and guest lectures
Connections offers a secure environment with an elegant yet cozy ambiance to ensure safety and serenity. Residents can enjoy the outdoors safely on our porches, patios, and gardens with around-the-clock security.
Wander management technology is also in place to ensure residents can move around while their location is monitored.
With safety and comfort combined, Connections is the ideal home for your loved ones in the early stages of memory loss.
The Haven neighborhood is dedicated to caring for residents in the middle to late stages of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
In these stages, residents may struggle to recognize loved ones, organize thoughts, and perform daily activities. They might need help with personal care and experience increased wandering and restlessness.
Like Connections, Haven also uses wander management technology to ensure the safety of your loved one.
This neighborhood encourages residents to engage in personalized activities that resonate meaningfully with them.
The priority in Haven is to provide enhanced assistance while focusing on comfort, reducing agitation, and delivering compassionate care.
At The Kensington Redondo Beach, our commitment to our residents is paramount. To ensure they receive top-tier care, we consistently keep up on the newest Alzheimer’s and dementia studies, often collaborating with our valued healthcare partners.
By forging ties with other healthcare professionals, we’re always up-to-date on the most recent developments in memory care, such as the groundbreaking new medication Leqembi.
Our dedication shines through as we integrate this modern expertise into our care strategy, infusing every facet of our approach with innovation, warmth, and unwavering dedication.
Begin your journey towards a more supportive tomorrow for your loved one by connecting with the compassionate care team at The Kensington Redondo Beach.
Our assisted living and memory care community honor Our Promise to love and care for your family as we do our own. We consistently seek avenues to uplift our residents’ well-being and ensure they always feel treasured, acknowledged, and deeply cared for.
Upon joining our Kensington family, your loved one will experience:
- Continuous comprehensive care
- Rehabilitation services
- Expert memory care
- Engaging life-enrichment activities
- Delightful dining experiences
- Comfortable living spaces
Get in touch with The Kensington Redondo Beach today. Let’s journey toward a brighter tomorrow.