The Kensington Redondo Beach
Our Promise: To love and care for your family as we do our own.
The Chef is responsible for preparing appealing, nutritious, and properly portioned food for all residents and guests in accordance with production sheets, standardized recipes, preparation methods, portion control, time schedules, sanitary standards, and serving procedures.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Attends daily production meetings, tasting and menu classes to gain understanding of food production requirements of upcoming meal periods.
- Prepares hot and cold food items for the residents, guests, and personnel according to daily menus and food production sheets. Prepares food items for residents with modified diets.
- Prepares food for transportation from the production areas to dining areas in accordance with safe food handling practices.
- Instructs servers on proper handling, storage, portioning, plating, and serving of food items.
- Assists with labeling and storing bulk food and supply orders upon delivery.Labels and stores “ready to eat” and prepared foods in accordance with safe food handling and HACCP requirements.
- Assists in monthly inventories of food and other supplies.
- Maintains work area and equipment in a clean and orderly condition throughout the work shift and performs required shift closing and periodic cleaning tasks as assigned. Assists with performing utility related tasks as directed by the shift supervisor.
- Attends in-service training sessions together with co-workers to keep abreast of current knowledge in the field of nutrition and dietary needs, safe food handling, culinary skills and procedures, and operation and maintenance of equipment.
- Attends training courses and participates in other professional development activities as required.
- Reports any suspicion or evidence of elder abuse, mistreatment or neglect as outlined in Personnel Policies.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Must have excellent verbal skills and communication abilities.
- Ability to work effectively within a team based environment.
- Must know how to operate kitchen equipment and use utensils to greatest advantage.
- Ability to follow diet instructions and menus, know basic methods of preparing food in quantities, and be familiar with seasoning requirements
- Must be able to clearly and proficiently communicate with people of all ages, while maintaining an energetic and positive attitude.
- Must be able to understand English, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Minimum of one (1) year in similar position, with preferable retirement living or home care background.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends, evenings, rotating shifts, and occasional overtime.
- High school education strongly preferred.
- Certified in safe food handling.
- Be in good health, and physically and mentally capable of performing assigned tasks. Good physical health shall be verified by a health screening performed by a physician not more than six (6) months prior to or seven (7) days after employment.
- Demonstrates freedom from pulmonary tuberculosis by a health screening performed by a physician not more than six (6) months prior to or seven (7) days after employment
- Must be criminally cleared by DOJ and FBI via the Live-Scan process prior to initial presence in the facility.
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to stand and walk short and long distances for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to lift and/or carry objects in excess of 25 lbs.
- Requires bending at knees, twisting from side to side at the waist, and reaching above, below and at shoulder length.
- The kitchen environment is subject to noise, interruptions and distractions and requires the ability to concentrate and handle a multitude of tasks.
- High degree of safety awareness as work environment involves potential physical risks that include cuts from utensils, burns, falls due to wet floors, quick temperature changes in and out of refrigeration areas and around steam tables.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only job duties to be performed by the team member occupying this position. Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities and aptitude to perform each duty proficiently. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at-will” employment relationship.