The Kensington Redondo Beach
Our Promise: to love and care for your family as we do our own
The Activities Coordinator- Haven shall assist the Director of Memory Care in the development, organization, and coordination of available community and area resources to provide a high quality program of activities in the Haven Memory Care neighborhood. The program will be designed to meet, in accordance with the resident assessment, the interests and the physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being of each resident in the Haven neighborhood.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinates the planning, development, and implementation of activities which are specifically designed to enrich the lives of the Haven residents. Develops the monthly Haven activities calendar.
- Supervises the training, development, and performance of the activities assistants assigned to work in the Haven neighborhood. Responsible for completing the performance evaluations for these team members.
- Contributes to residents’ care planning by participating in assessment, developing service plan goals and approaches, and maintaining progress notes.
- Develops and leads one-on-one and group activities. Prepares rooms, equipment, supplies prior to each activity and cleans up after each activity. Encourages resident and family participation in activities. Transports residents to and from activities as needed.
- Completes appropriate documentation such as daily attendance records, historical monthly activities calendars, precautions list, and transportation logs.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships within the Memory Care department and with other departments of the community. Cooperates with other departments in meeting the needs of the residents.
- Assists with monthly newsletters and family communications as needed. Coordinates the preparation of monthly bulletin boards and seasonal decorations.
- Assists the Director of Memory Care in evaluating a) effectiveness of activities programs, b) individual needs, and c) participation levels of each resident.
- Attends resident/family council meetings and proactively encourages and supports resident’s rights.
- Administers an effective volunteer program.
- Attends training courses and participates in other professional development activities as required.
Knowledge and Skill:
- Must be able to clearly and proficiently communicate with people of all ages, while maintaining an energetic and positive attitude.
- Ability to work effectively within a team based environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including; Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point, and Property Management System.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret human service periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, procedure manuals.
- Must be able to read and write English, and follow verbal and written instructions.
- Minimum two (2) years of experience in a similar position in retirement living or home care.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekends and evenings.
- Associates’ Degree from an accredited college or university required. Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Certification as a Therapeutic Recreation Specialists or as an Activities Professional by a recognized accrediting body is preferred.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver license
Mental and Physical Requirements:
- Requires ability to stand and walk short and long distances for extended periods of time.
- Requires sitting, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms above, below, and at shoulder length.
- While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The team member frequently lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds. Must be able to push a minimum of 200 pounds and be able to push such weight a minimum distance of 200 feet.
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of residents during an emergency.
- Ability to remain calm and positive in stressful situations.
All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only job duties to be performed by the team member occupying this position.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbent will possess the abilities and aptitude to perform each duty proficiently.